About the Encephalitis Society
Encephalitis is inflammation of the brain. The inflammation is caused either by an infection invading the brain (infectious); or through the immune system attacking the brain in error (post-infectious or autoimmune Encephalitis).
To live in a world where Encephalitis is as rare as it possibly can be given its eradication is unlikely, and that those affected and their families, have access to early diagnosis, excellent management of their condition, timely access to rehabilitation and other forms of social support.
To improve the quality of life of all people affected directly and indirectly by Encephalitis by:
- To support adults and children affected by Encephalitis, their families and carers by providing advice and information and working at a national and international level to improve services.
- To produce evidence-based, quality information on all aspects of the condition in printed, electronic, video and audio formats.
- To raise awareness about the condition and its subsequent problems among relevant professionals, statutory agencies and the general public.
- To conduct research and work in partnership with other researchers and their establishments.
The Encephalitis Society is an organisation that was founded on the principle of mutual support. Our desire to influence change is informed by the direct experience of people affected by Encephalitis and their families and carers. Input from other contributors to the Society including our Members, Staff, Volunteers, and Trustees are key in our considerations.
Our key values are:
- Professionalism to treat each other with the highest levels of respect at all times
- Passion to generate a ‘can-do’ attitude, feel the impact of our work, and take pride in knowing we can make a difference
- Transparency to be open and honest, working together with a clear vision
- Trust to know that we are all supporting one another
- Innovation to push each other to improve, evolve and achieve
- Accountability to take responsibility for our actions
THE ENCEPHALITIS SOCIETY
The hub of the Society's work is at the Society Offices - a fully resourced and accessible building, a short distance from Malton railway station in North Yorkshire. Visitors are welcome and an area is available for them to speak with staff for information and advice. The Society offices also boast state-of-the-art meeting and training room facilities for the Society use and that of the local community. For a map please click here.
This area will need more content so that the two boxes with be approximately the same size.
Become a Member
By becoming a member of the Encephalitis Society, your support helps us to provide essential support to people affected all over the world.
Click here to read more
25 April - We will be hosting an Extraordinary General Meeting to make minor amends to our Articles of Association. If you are a UK Member and able to attend please let us know - find out more here.
26 April - Our International Ambassador, Aliki, is running the Virgin London Marathon to raise funds for us. She is being sponsored by the Banc de Binary and Ionian Weddings. Thanks to both of them!
There are four other members of our Dream Team of runners in the Marathon - Alan Percival, Nicholas Evans, Amanda Cook, and Tom Willson. Give them all a cheer please!
23 March - We are currently piloting our In-House Neuropsychology Service. Find out more here
W/C 23 March - Our Chief Executive Dr Ava Easton will be in Barcelona during the week commencing 23rd March. She will be at the Lancet Neuro Autoimmune Disorders Conference, which we are sponsoring.
If you live in or around this area of Spain and are interested in an informal meeting, Ava would be happy to make some time available to meet members of The Society or indeed any person or family affected by Encephalitis. If this is of interest to you, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
For fundraising opportunities please see our